Since its beginnings at the end of the 20th century, the importance of web development has grown exponentially. In today’s world, everyone has internet access of some form and a big percentage of people generally use the internet each and every day. Web development is becoming one of the best amazing and good paid career options in the world. But what is a web developer and what exactly does one do?
What Does A Website Developer Do?
Generally, a website developer is someone who takes web design and development, which has been made by either a design team or client and made it into a site. They have a very difficult job, because they essentially have to take a language we know and understand, like English, and translate it into a language that a computer can easily understands, like HTML or Python.
As you will be able to imagine that this can take many effort and time, and needs an understanding of different programming languages and the way they’re used. Many types of developers specialize in various areas, which means that many website development company projects are basically a collaboration between different developers.
What kinds Of Web Developer Are There?
The 3 main types of a web developer are back-end, front-end, and full-stack. Front-end developers are responsible for the portions of a site that user see, back-end developers are responsible for the behind the scenes that manage and handles how a site runs and loads, and full-stack developers do a bit of each and everything.
So, what generally web developers do when they work on front-end of a site?
- Developers make sure that all of the content that is requires for the site is visible, clear and found in the perfect place. In few cases front-end developers may have skills of content writing, allowing them to build the content for the site as they go.
- Developers make sure that the correct colors are in the correct places, especially with respect to background colors, text colors, and headers. Few of the good front-end developers are also good designers, allowing them to tweak things as they go.
- Developers make sure that all external links are perfectly formatted, that all buttons work correctly, and that the site is attractive and responsive. Mobile design is basically a huge phase of the job, while it is also very important to make sure that a site will display properly on all website browsers.
While it looks like front-end developers have a very tough job in making sure that a site looks good, works very well, and contains the right content, back-end developers have it much worse. While back-end developers are responsible for server-side programming, front-end developers have to deal with the client-side.
It means that they have to make the program and code which power the site’s server, databases, and any app that it contains. The very important part as a back-end developer is the ability to make clean, efficient code which does what you need it to in the fastest way possible. Since site speed is the main consideration when it comes to SEO, it is a huge factor when developing and designing the back-end.
Since various sites have several requirements, a back-end developer must be flexible, able to build various programs, and they must have a proper understanding of the languages that they use. It is very important to make sure that they can come up with the amazing process of building the required program while making sure that it is scalable, secure and easy to maintain.
They understand both back and front-end methods and strategies, which means that they are exactly positioned to see the complete process.
In the case of small sites which do not have a big budget of development, a full-stack developer will often be employed to create the complete site. In this case, it is very important for them to have a full, in-depth understanding of both back and front-end development and how they work.
Full-stack development techniques have a big range of advantages, including:
- You will end up with the knowledge to be able to make a complete site on your own. This makes you more employable, increasing your job chances in the future.
- As a full-stack developer, understand the connections between the back and front-ends of a site, allowing you to create excellent and amazing programs for all phase of the site.
- Full-stack developers are often employed to oversee big projects for big website development companies.
Although most of the developers start out with either back or front-end specializations, there are many reasons why you should consider branching out and learning both. It will make you more and more employable, will give you best understanding of the entire concept of what is custom web application development, and will make it simpler for you to build complete sites on your own.
How To Be A Web Developer
- Start by deciding what type of developer you wish to become. Obviously, the techniques and languages that you learn will depend on what you wish to focus on back or front-end development to start with.
- Create a learning plan. Everyone requires a bit of motivation, otherwise, we simply do not do the things that we want to. As you begin your journey towards becoming a website developer, it is very important for you to start creating a bit of a learning schedule.